To Bid or Not To Bid that is the question, or at least it should be!
When it comes to what should be put out for bid the answer is real clear.
- Anything over $20,000
When it comes to why we haven’t put something out for bid, the answers on the other hand are a bit ridiculous:
No Bid, Fire trucks:
- Private donation so no need for bidding
- Specific Patented Items
No Bid Gas:
- Now KING TOMMY is making the claim that Gas is not a product, it’s a service!
I guess that’s why it was called a “Service Station” back in the day!
The problem is Trial court Judge Morgan just cited Black's Law Dictionary's definition of "produce" -- "[t]o bring (oil, etc.) to the surface of the earth" -- and interpreted "production" as the act of bringing gas from underground to the earth's surface.
So I it would stand to reason that “Gas” is a product if it is produced!
The King did however give an excuse with some merit:
- “This is not someone I brought in new. They were here for many previous administrations,” Leighton said
True enough, the King didn’t hire a new buddy. He just gave his old buddy a free pass to not publicly, openly, and honestly earn the cities business through the bid process.
Wake Up Wilkes Barre
- No-bid gas is legal, W-B says
- City liable for bid violations
- Pa. Commonwealth Court says compressor stations are essential to production